Saturday, October 13, 2012

The C6-NGT's First Terrible Pictures

A couple of days after I took my brandy new C6-NGT out for first light, I decided to try hook up my DSLR to it.  The first series of pics weren't great, entirely due to a hasty and beginner's alignment.  The exposures were about 30 seconds each.

My first shot was of M13, a globular cluster in Hercules.

M13 - Globular cluster in Hercules
Compared to my first shot of M13 using the MallinCam, this image's detail is much higher, but trailing is clearly visible from a lousy equatorial alignment.  I was still quite excited about my first shot, though, on a real equatorial platform.

I then decided to slew over to M57 in Lyra.

M57 - Planetary nebula in Lyra
Just like the first shot of M13, field rotation from a bad alignment is obvious; even more so in this picture... I wonder if I bumped the mount after my first imaging of M13.  However, the color from this picture was great.

Overall, I was quite satisfied and excited about my first outing with a more capable beginners imaging set up!


No comments:

Post a Comment